A Man, His Dog and Their Hikes

The continuing adventures of me and my dog. Read about our travels, and imagine your own. Life is Good. Enjoy It!

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

An Urban Exploration: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Hi everyone I hope you are doing well.

Its been almost two weeks since I've returned from my too short visit South America and thought I'd share a thought about my travels. The best way to describe was: Surprising.

The first part of our trip was to the capital city of Argentina, Buenos Aires (BA). If you've not been to BA my best description is to compare it to a mixture of San Francisco, and New York City - A very,hip, sophisticated, cosmopolitan, young, metropolitan town - In short, a fun place to visit.

What was originally meant to be a larger group turned into a small group of three which consisted of my brother Armando, his friend Steve, and of course me. From the moment we arrived, until the moment we left, our travels were full of surprises; most very pleasant.

Some characteristics of Argentinos that I've brought back with me are their overwhelming sense of national pride, and their love of food and drink. Some specific items that come to mind are the their Parrilladas, Fracturas, Empanandas, Pizzas, Chimichuri; Cafe (coffee), Yerba Mate (tea), Quilmes (beer) and Malbec (wine).


BA is walking town; and walk we did. Together, and me separately, we walked to Recoleta, El Centro, San Telmo, Palermo, Boca, Nuevo Palermo, Puerto Madero - Pretty much everywhere. Our walks were interrupted only by our need to eat and hydrate - Although it was the end of their summer it was still very hot, although only mildly humid.


I had a chance to visit many city parks, the botanical gardens, the planetarium, the zoo, and other points of architectural, artistic, and cultural interest. We went to a Tango show, which is a Must See, we visited a small river town, Tigre, Northwest of BA on the banks of the Rio Plata. All these destinations and interests only skimmed the surface of what the city has to offer and I certainly left wanting more.

For now I'm left satisfied with the introduction to Argentinian life, but I do plan to return someday, and visit much more remote locations such as Patagonia, Anaconugua, Torres del Paine, Tierra del Fuego and other destinations.

In reality our introduction to Argentina on started in BA, while in reality it ended in El Puerto de Iguazu, but that will have to wait for another night, and another email For now I will only add: I love life and hope you do too!



-Manny

1 Comments:

  • At 9:50 PM, Anonymous Rolando said…

    Im glad you liked BA. I was born here, and despite the many problems and deficiencies that the everyday life poses to the "porteƱos" we come to love this city.
    I hope you went astray from the tourist "for export" routes and places. There is way much more to discover.
    Did you take a boat trip to the delta in Tigre? Its a huge maze of small rivers and streams, some of witch are completely uninhabited and wild.

    Anyways, thanks for writing such good things about my city and my country!.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home