A Man, His Dog and Their Hikes

The continuing adventures of me and my dog. Read about our travels, and imagine your own. Life is Good. Enjoy It!

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Calabasas Peak & My Maiden Voyage

Hi everyone, I hope you are doing well.

It seems odd how quickly time seems to slip by, I keep telling myself that it was only yesterday since I captured my thoughts about what I've been up to lately, however looking back its been a while, and it appears I've accumulated a backlog of small adventures and activities to share.

More than a month ago now, I spent time roaming the hills and hidden peaks of the Santa Monica National Recreation Area. One memorable hike was my hike to Calabasas Peak. The hike was relatively short, at less than 8 miles, with a modest elevation gain of about 1600 ft. The hike nevertheless was very pleasant.

Java and I had a chance to observe varied arid hillsides, numerous sandstone rock features, and impressive vistas. It really is amazing to think of how under appreciated the hills of the greater Los Angeles area are, although I secretly hope they continue to remain undiscovered and thus left unexplored by the masses.


One weekend later I was exploring a completely different landscape; one even more barren, but equally engrossing and rewarding. For more than a year, in reality since much earlier than that, I have dreamed of exploring the remote lakes, oceans, and other waterways. Well now, I have the means to do exactly that.

A month ago I received shipment of my semi-custom built vessel; a 16 foot long, sit-inside touring kayak. My maiden voyage was launched from the Ventura Harbor, which I explored extensively, before heading out on a short off-shore excursion into the Pacific Ocean.
I paddled out to the furthest navigational buoy which marks the entrance to the harbor. The difference between the calm harbor waters, and the open ocean where fantastic. Instead of small waves lapping the side of the kayak from passing boats, the ocean offered a energetic ride atop crests and troughs of 4 - 6 ft swells.

The following day I explored the Channel Islands Harbor, substantially larger and more varied than the Ventura harbor which I visited the day before. On this day I reversed my previous day's activities and first set out on the ocean, and then explored the calm waters of the harbor.

My launch was made adjacent to the Coast Guard station, about a quarter mile inland on the Eastern-most bank of the harbor. Once out of the harbor I discovered that the ocean waters were substantially larger than they had been the day before; 8 - 10 ft. swells crashed fiercely against the breakwater at the entrance to the harbor.

Once clear of the harbor I set off on a western course, parallel to the coast about a mile offshore. I paddled half-way to Ventura, perhaps more, and then reversed my course back to the harbor, which I explored at length.

The freedom to explorer other inaccessible locations is what has always attracted me to the idea of owning a kayak, and in this I was not disappointed. I had a chance to examine locations not otherwise accessible and to view places I've visited frequently from an entirely new perspective - I look forward to doing more of the same for a long time to come!


Of course there is more to share, but it will have to wait for another day... I love life - It's great! I hope you have reason to feel the same.



-Manny

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home