A Man, His Dog and Their Hikes

The continuing adventures of me and my dog. Read about our travels, and imagine your own. Life is Good. Enjoy It!

Saturday, December 03, 2005

Santa Cruz Island and Horn Canyon

Hi everyone.

I hope all of you enjoyed the long Thanksgiving
weekend - I sure did. Food, shopping, food, football,
and for good measure, more food. Not a bad weekend at
all; especially when you throw in a small bit of wine
on the side.

:-)

However prior to going home this past weekend Java and
I were up to our old tricks the prior weekend. The
Friday before last I took a vacation day to make my
way out to a spot that has captured my imagination
continuously since I moved to the area. The place I'm
referring to, is one that I've mentioned frequently
but never previously visited - Santa Cruz Island.

The Channel Islands, which Santa Cruz is a part of,
are widely regarded as "America's Galapagos" and
although not really comparable, they do have a rich
number of species found no where else, and where home
to various now extinct endemic species; in addition to
being the ancient home of the Chumash.

Regrettably, all but one trail is currently closed on
the island to allow for a joint National Park Service,
and Nature Conservancy feral pig eradication program.
The good news is the trail is one that you are not
normally allowed to go on, so I was fortunate to go
when I did. The hike itself was very moderate - a
little over 5 miles with minimal elevation gain, but
with a total of 10 canyon crossings.

After spending as much time as I now have hiking the
mainland, seeing the differences in the trees, brush,
grasses and flowers of Santa Cruz was impressive. For
example imagine pine forests that are essentially at
sea level - Sounds normal, but it's not.

What I found most special was taking in a view of the
mainland, about 20 miles in the distance, across the
Santa Barbara Channel; standing in spots that showed
archaeological evidence of the Chumash that inhabited
the island for more than 13,000 thousand years, prior
to their subjugation by missionaries.

Two days later Java and I were once again admiring
Santa Cruz Island, but this time from more familiar
territory at the top of Horn Canyon, near the boundary
of the Sespe Wilderness. A fairly strenuous hike, 10
miles with more than 4000 ft of elevation gain.

I'm glad to be alive - I hope you are too!


-Manny

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home