A Man, His Dog and Their Hikes

The continuing adventures of me and my dog. Read about our travels, and imagine your own. Life is Good. Enjoy It!

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Weekend Recreation

Hi hope you are doing well.

The weekend before last, Java and I were thrashing
through the Gene Marshall (Piedra Blanca / National
Recreation Trial) in the Sespe Wilderness. I can
assure you that the trail is far removed from
recreational, and instead it much more resembles the
location where it resides - Wild.

At times, the trail was merely a figment of our
imagination, and only after extensive bush whacking,
scrambling, and back tracking did we make any
progress. At some point my desire to "make camp"
became more than just a goal, and turned into
something more like an obsession. So with that as
motivation we crossed multiple creek beds choked thick
with poison ivy, tall reeds, thin brush, and young
trees - Like I said the trail was in need of some
serious TLC.

We started our hike from Camp Reyes near Camp
Scheideck in the SouthWest end of the Lockwood Valley.
On Saturday we made our way over several passes to
our goal - Haddock Camp - The place where we had made
camp the weekend before. Not wanting to have to cross
several of the passes early the next morning we
retraced our steps and hoofed it back up the trail to
Bear Camp. Fortunately we did not encounter any of
the camp's namesakes!

Although we did not need to fight off any wild
creatures, Java did struggle through some hunger pains
until I improvised a dinner for him - I forgot his
food at home. I'm a terrible person I know!

Of course the night was beautiful, the soothing sounds
of rustling leaves, crickets, and frogs surrounded us
at night. The constellations were lost amongst the
sea stars above. You know, the usual very cool stuff -
Yada, yada, yada.

Trip Summary: Overnight hike, 16 miles, Total ascent
- 3800 ft., Max Elevation - 6265 ft.

Life is wonderful - Hope you make the most of it!


-Manny

P.S. Have you ever wondered where Lady Bugs come from?
Apparently, its the Sespe Wilderness - All of them, I
think. It was a sea red every where you looked.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home