A Man, His Dog and Their Hikes

The continuing adventures of me and my dog. Read about our travels, and imagine your own. Life is Good. Enjoy It!

Monday, August 08, 2005

Punchbowls, Flying Objects, Unintended Consequences, and More...

Hi everyone.

Although quiet for the last several weeks things have
been as busy as ever.

Two weekends ago I did and overnight trip to the
Punchbowls, some nearby swimming holes located in
Santa Paula Canyon. The Punchbowls are a popular
destination, perhaps too much so, but if you haven't
been back to visit since this year's storms you
wouldn't recognize the creek or the trail. Mostly
because the trail no longer exists. All that is left
is rock hopping, boulder jumping and scrambling up the
creek to the bowls. Given that the temperatures were
94 deg. F and hotter, taking frequent dips in the many
pools, was absolutely awesome. Regrettably Java
didn't make it the last 1/4 mile to the main
punchbowls - The going got a little too tough for him
:-( Note: A running creek, a mild breeze, and
moderate temperatures are the best sleeping aids ever
invented - I slept great that night.

The next day I picked up camp early, headed home and
introduced Julio to the nerve racking, but fun sport
of Rock Climbing. After several hours of instruction,
with a heavy emphasis on safety, Julio was tapping the
anchor after having successfully top-roped a 5.5 route
at the Sespe Gorge. He also managed to safely rappel
back to ground. Not bad for his first time out - Way
to go Julio!

Last weekend was spent admiring the beautiful
California countryside, as Michael slept, as we made
our way to Fairfield to celebrate, again, Patti's
graduation from USC (severely biting tongue to avoid
smart-alec remark). Actually the party may have been
the most dangerous thing I've done in a long, long
time... There was flying food, flying utensils,
falling umbrella's, severe sun exposure, ear rattleing
live music... jeez, Patti, you sure do know how to
throw a party! :-) I had a great time - Thanks for
the invite.

So what of my unintended consequences? Well If I
believe my podiatrist, only grudingly so, I've somehow
manged to fracture a bone in my left foot called the
Oysamotices (sp?). He showed me the X-ray and
everything, and told he me to stay away from heavy
foot related sports and other activities that will
place stress on my foot - What!!!?????!!!! The guy
must be smoking crack! I originally developed the
problem about six weeks ago, although it was the
Punchbowls hike that chewed up my feet. Since then my
once-a-day running was forced into my current,
every-other-day schedule, for the last two weeks. :-(

Although I understand the advice, I can't imagine
myself sitting still for too long. A nice four mile
hike, and regular 5K run these past two days tells me
I should back to full speed soon; so long as I do take
it a bit easy over the next couple of weeks. :-)

Earlier today I was exploring Santa Barbara's
backcountry, and I've attached some pix of some great
views The first is looking South past Santa Barbara,
across the SB channel to the top of Santa Cruz island,
visible, floating above the marine layer. The other
is looking North across the Southern end of the Santa
Ynez River Valley into the San Rafael Wilderness.
Both are from different locations between 2500 - 3500
ft.

I'm glad to be alive and hope you are too! Take care.


-Manny

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home