A Man, His Dog and Their Hikes

The continuing adventures of me and my dog. Read about our travels, and imagine your own. Life is Good. Enjoy It!

Thursday, July 14, 2005

Still Wandering

Hi.  I hope you are doing well.


As for Java and I, we're still doing our thing. You
may have wondered why the recent silence (probably
not) - But mostly its been from enjoying some quiet,
time at home relaxing between our various activities,
such as running, hiking, backpacking, rock climbing,
and watching professional soccer games.


The weekend before last, Java and I were kind enough
to feed the Santa Monica National Recreation Area
Black Fly population by offering up Chiquis and
Macario for dinner. Obviously Chiqs and Mac, had
issues with it; but the flies were plenty happy! No
doubt my opinion differs from theirs, but we did get
to enjoy a nice drive, hike, and some decent views
above the cloud line on our way up to Sandstone Peak,
3111 ft. - Regrettably I have no pictures to share, as
I forgot my memory card for this hike - An omen of
other forgetful events to come.



The following day Java and I took a hike up to the
nearby Escondido Falls. The pictures speak for
themselves - Its a beautiful location with some nice
waterworks. Unfortunately, Java hasn't yet completely
mastered the art of boulder climbing, so he didn't get
to see the upper falls, but he did make it 90% of the
way there. Good Boy, Java!



In addition to our outdoor adventures we also had a
few culinary ones over the holiday weekend. This
obviously creates a vicious circle by creating the
need to do even more outdoor activities, to combat the
intake excess food. Arghhh! The dilemmas never
cease! ;-)



Given the "need" to work off our indulgences, Java and
I set off to the Dinkey Wilderness this past weekend,
in the Sierra National Forrest, located North-West of
the Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Park. But
before we hit the road we got in some rock climbing in
with Steve from work, at a local crag. Specifically
the Black Wall at Sespe Gorge - We agreed afterwards,
a very nice spot. We only mnaged a single climb, but
it was notable because it was my first ever lead trad
free climb! I got to use most of my gear, including
placing my protection, building an anchor and doing
the clean-up. It was lots of fun, albeit on a
relatively modest 5.6 route. (Here too, cameras were
forgotten at home.)



I believe there is a saying that goes, "When you
forget things, they happen in threes." I'll buy into
that statement, especially since I'm proof that the
saying is true! Despite what I thought to be careful
planning, I got to the trailhead this past weekend,
(only 290 miles from home); a long distance from the
appropriate civilization and realized that I forgot
the battery to my camera - It was snugly resting in
its charger.


The ironic part about my non-operational camera, is
that in the single most picturesque location I have
*ever* been to I had no means of taking a picture.


My not having a camera was a bit funny, actually
frustrating, but in the end really liberating.
Instead of worrying about the camera and taking
pictures, instead I was focused on absorbing the
sights, and moment.



I have neither the ability, nor the time (gotta get to
sleep) to fully describe the Dinkey Wilderness, our
trip there, and our experiences once there. However
I'll try to give you a brief flavor of the place:
Imagine vegetation of every possible kind; such as
tightly packed trees, grasses, flowers, ferns, you
name it. Picture slate mountainsides, exposed granite
domes, and canyon walls; and huge talus fields of
both. Envision lazy, torrid, winding, rushing,
tranquil, cascading streams, creaks, falls and
absolutely still and immensely peaceful lakes. Create
a mental image of unbroken ridge-lines of dense
evergreens, woven together by patches of snow covering
the mountain peaks. Add to the scene profound canyons
that butress the mountain and add tot hat plentiful
wildlife roaming the forest floor, with eagles and
other birds soaring high above.



Any one features we encountered, was by itself
impressive, but when put them all together, it was
almost overwhelming. Think of it as the most
expressive Ansel Adams image you've seen. The paint
it broad strokes and splashes of vibrant color. Add
to it the scent of a thriving, wild, and purely
natural ecosystem; then further add the sound of water
rushing past you from every direction. Create this
image and add to it the the steady sound of your own
heartbeat, and that is what it was like.



Some details: We made camp at 9400 ft, at the First
Dinkey Lake, on the north shore, with views to the
south of the Three Sisters Peaks. From there, at
sunset, we got to appreciate the snow dusted peaks
that framed the lake. They were at first washed in
golden light and then burned with an auburn hue;
simply spectacular. Their observation made better,
only by the reflection off the mirror like surface of
the lake at their base.


Chiqs & Macario - If its any consolation, the entire
area was teeming with dense, aggressive concentrations
of mosquitoes. All of which seemed to want to get a
taste of me - Many of which did!



Like I said there's more to share, like the Clovis
Chief of Police and his friend that I rescued by
towing their truck out of a downhill mud embankment -
But that will have to wait for another day.



Take care, and stay safe. I'm glad to be alive - I'm
loving it, and I hope you are too!

:-)

-Manny

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home