Hi.
I couldn't let the week end without sharing what Java
and I did to keep ourselves occupied this past
weekend.
We did a single day hike in the San Gabriel Mountains
north of the city of Duarte on the Fish Creek Trail.
As soon as we got there I knew to expect a fun (read
laborious) day. The first thing that greeted us were
big Warning signs posted every 20 ft at the trail head
that read, "WARNING!! The trail was devastated by the
recent winter storms - Do Not Use. WARNING!!
I guess Java and I both developed a temporary reading
disability because we swiftly proceeded to ignore the
signs. Sure enough as soon as we stepped onto the
trail, it was bushwhack city. Argh! Nature certainly
developed a formidable defense with the development of
thorns - They hurt!
There is no need to describe the trail, you just need
imagine a overgrown tropical rain forest minus the
rain - The plant life was everywhere and covered
everything. There were no less than 6 or 7 spots
where the trail seemed impassable, but we persevered
and I am very glad we did; the reward was well worth
the effort.
What made the hike rewarding? The Fish Creek Falls at
the head on the canyon. As with many falls, standing
at the foot of the pools and rushing wasters was
soothing and energizing all at the same time - It felt
great!
Another special treat, was being stunned by finding a
wildflowers specimen that I have never seen before.
It may be common somewhere but I've never seen it
elsewhere - It literally stopped me in my tracks when
we happened upon just after turning the corner on a
switchback. The intensity and beauty of its color was
so pronounced against the hillside I just stood there
for a long time, in silent, appreciative observation.
Hike data: Distance covered ~9.5+ miles. Total time
was ~6.25 hrs. Total ascent +3450 ft. The effort was
strenuous to very difficult, but most importantly the
net enjoyment was very high.
Take care, and as I now like to say, Life is Good.
Enjoy it!
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home