A Man, His Dog and Their Hikes

The continuing adventures of me and my dog. Read about our travels, and imagine your own. Life is Good. Enjoy It!

Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Mount San Jacinto Climb

My overnighter to the Mount San Jacinto Wilderness
area this weekend has to be the highlight of my recent
hikes. Although this one wasn't even a hike at all,
it was a Trek - What's the difference? Well, when you
go on a hike you follow an established trial; when you
are on a trek, your of off-trail using your navigation
skills to find your way from point A to point B. It's
not until you are on a trek that you realize your map
and compass are your very best friends.

Below are some pix that I took on my trek. The first
order of business was to set up camp.

On Saturday I went up Cornell Peak, 9,750 ft. I did
some rock climbing to very top point - It was pretty
trippy looking down a sheer cliff to the valley floor
on the other side.

On Sunday, I made it to the summit of San Jacinto
Peak, 10,834 ft, the second highest point in So Cal.

View from up top: See that snow covered mountain in
the distance? That's my next destination, it's the
highest point in So. Cal., Mount San Gorgonio @ 11,502
ft. Interested?

The last pix is from the valey floor near the mounth
of the Coachella valley looking up at the Mount San
Jacinto.

Oh yeah, Michael & Julio don't send out the rescue
party - I made it back OK :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home